Sunday, October 10, 2010

Drive

Pain does strange things to people.  Some people wither and die from it; others find the drive to accomplish and overcome.  The only definite thing is that pain will change you.
Chronic pain is a bit of a different animal.  It's forever, and hence the person is forever changing from an uncontrolled stimuli.
For me I tend to go back and forth between longing for an end, and wanting nothing more than to show the animal who's boss.  It's hard, having been a Marine, having so much pride, and then having to ask my wife to get me a bowl because I can't; having to tell a guitar student that his lesson is cancelled while I gulp for air and pray for relief.
Yesterday I found drive.  One of my old friends from high school published his poetry.  I was NOT going to miss his event, and I wasn't going to let my pain ruin his moment of celebration.  I had such a good time, but eventually the pain stopped the drive and I had to leave.  I would do it all over again today and every day to experience what I did yesterday.
You can read some of his work here:
http://willfulresemblance.blogspot.com/
I would highly recommend his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment