Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day 2010

Today has been a fantastic day, despite the ever present pain and being sick.  I received recognition from my mother, wife, and neighbors.  Chris, my neighbor, spent a few hours playing the new game 'Call of Duty:Black Ops'.  Amy made scallops for dinner.  I've never had better scallops anywhere.
I called the NorthWest Herald, beseeching them, again, to run my story.  I felt like I had a little added ammunition with November being national RSD awareness month, and today being Veteran's Day.  I wrote a Facebook note asking for people to write letters and help in that fashion.  We'll see what comes of the endeavors.
A couple days ago I received a letter from the Illinois Department of Human Services.  My case for vocational rehabilitation has been closed due to inability to complete any form of work.  My attorney was extremely excited.
The last week or so has been terrible for pain.  I've been unable to do much, and I'm finding it difficult to even get up the drive to get in the shower.  There's an RSD support group meeting this Sunday.  That will be good, as I'm feeling a need for some support.  Some days are easier than others to find drive and desire to do things.  The last week has not been easier.
I'm happy to have given what I did for everyone.  If I could do it all over again, I would without a second thought.  Please take the time, if you can, to write your governing officials and request that the VA add RSD as a diagnosis in their ratings handbook, demand that veterans receive better medical treatment, and spread the word about RSD.
My sincerest gratitude to all of you who take the time to read my words,
Kev

4 comments:

  1. http://www.votesmart.org/
    This site will help you find your elected officials' names and addresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will give people a new desire to act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been reading your blog and am touched. Where did you serve overseas? You don't seem to mention that anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I served in Southern California. I was never deployed to any overseas duty stations or theater of war.
    I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and prepped for the war in Afghanistan and Iraq, but was discharged prior to my unit deploying because of my medical condition.

    ReplyDelete