Saturday, November 13, 2010

Providing Support

This week I spent several hours trying to get the word to other veterans with RSD that there is a support group available for them here in Northern Illinois.  I was able to get a couple people that are going to try to make our meeting this Sunday, but not nearly as many as I wanted.  I felt like Schindler thinking that he could have done more.  But my work isn't over in the least.
This Sunday I'll be picking up literature about the group to give to the Milwaukee and North Chicago VA medical centers.
It's funny.  Milwaukee told me, upon my time of calling, to bring the literature and they'd get it out to everyone who was diagnosed with RSD.  North Chicago told me to not bother until they got back in touch with me.  How sad is that?  Someone comes knocking on their door with a free support group for RSD Veterans and they don't readily accept it.  I fully plan on calling them every hour, on the hour, until they 'decide' to offer the group to other veterans.  What gives them the right to close off an avenue of support?
I was also able to get several new members through facebook.  I'm very excited to see some new faces, and proud that I may have provided a means for people to connect and not feel so alone.
Two, very good, friends of mine are going through a very difficult time.  It breaks my heart because I know that they love each other very much.  None of you may know them by name, but I'm sure if you ask God for his help and care, He'll know who you're talking about.
On the gaming front I've been able to game with some outstanding guys in a clan called Divine Knights.  These guys have been supportive, constructive, and welcoming.  Which brings me to one more thing...
I'd like to take the time to personally thank Corey Lease (A.K.A. Dk_Xavier, Da_Xavier).  Corey stuck with me when I was being severely mistreated by a PS3 clan known as Hell Hounds.  I was essentially kicked out of the clan for being disabled.  He left with me, and is the one who helped me get in with the Divine Knights.  I couldn't ask for a better gaming friend.

2 comments:

  1. Roadblocks to doing the right thing are often surprising and quite off putting, However, they are never rare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how different Milwaukee and North Chicago are. I had appointments Monday. They took the flyers and information and where excited to be able to get it into the hands of other RSD veterans.
    North Chicago still hasn't contacted me...
    On another note, but still the same page, my RSD group would like to welcome you to one of our meetings Jhon. They're open to other forms of chronic pain, and wanted me to offer you the chance to visit.
    If you do want to go, my wife and i can pick you up along the way. Have plenty of room for two families in our van...

    ReplyDelete