Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Updates and Free Time

When you have chronic pain there is no such thing as 'free time'.  Yesterday was spent shredding paper targets at the local pistol range with my best friend, and published poet, Jhon Baker.  I learned two fundamental truths over the last 24 hours.  First, once you fire a weapon, pistol or rifle, you'll crave it more than anything else.  Yesterday was such a freeing, and empowering, experience.  I can't even begin to thank Jhon enough.  So I made him a deal.  As soon as my benefits arrive I will buy some weapons of my own and pay for a trip to the range for the two of us.  I honestly don't want to wait long to do this.
  There's a link to Jhon's blog under my links section.  I would highly encourage anyone who enjoys poetry to check it out.  You won't be disappointed.
  The second truth I learned is that there is no such thing as free time when you have chronic pain.  You pay for every experience.  Today I'm paying the price, and it was worth every penny.
 
  Some updates and information is next on the agenda...
  The Chicago Tribune rescheduled for next Monday.  So next Monday we'll be getting photographed and interviewed.  The date change is bitter sweet, I want nothing more than to have the story run now, but, with the delay, I'll be able to do a little more phone work to get other individuals involved.  I really want to give the congressman's office a chance to have some free publicity for all the hard work they've done.
  There are several pages that the V.A. have set up on Facebook.  They explicitly pointed out that these pages where to keep in touch with veterans more efficiently.  I've posted on these pages several times; asking for them to discuss RSD, it's lack of rating schedule, my current situation, etc.  All of my comments have gone ignored, and one of them even had the VA suicide hotline people post up that I should call for help.  A little later I read the same post from them to another veteran.  Turns out that it's an auto response.  They must hit it when they don't want to deal with an issue.  I'll keep looking for a posting about RSD and I'll link it here should they ever follow through.
  I've become a member of a Facebook community for veterans with RSD.  If anyone would like to join us, please send me a message on Facebook, and I'll get you added.
  My contact with GM about their commercial stating they 'understood that everyone falls down and needs help up' was unproductive.  It seems that GM is more than willing to get bailed out, but as soon as an opportunity presented itself for them to help out a disabled veteran, they turned their backs.  I tried everyone from corporate to local dealerships, and they all where unwilling to help.  I would encourage anyone getting ready to shop for a new car to not go with GM.  Let them burn through their bail out and dwindle away.  Companies who publicly state that they're empathetic to plight and then privately scorn it should not be kept around.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin, try talking to the Itasca office for Subaru. They may be able to help and donate some money for a good cause. They are very big into helping out and because the office is right there in Chicago for the Midwest you might be able to drive down and talk to them personally. Also call up Evanston Subaru, they do special events there all the time. They just had one for the USO so they are big into helping Vets.

    ReplyDelete