Friday, December 24, 2010

Medical Appointments, Breakfast Reservations, and God's Angels

  Just six hours till Christmas.  I honestly didn't think we'd have one this year, but several groups donated so much that we've been able to have a nice meal and Santa will show up for Lincoln.  This year God's angels were hard at work in our lives, and I hope that next year I will be able to be one of those angels.
  This morning we spent time with some of my old friends from school.  We had a nice, simple breakfast at Around The Clock restaurant, and I'm paying the price for my good time.  It was worth every minute of pain though.  It seems so odd to see people I used to share classes with sitting with their own children, and it makes my heart skip a beat when I realize how amazing those people will be as parents.  We may have been one of the last generations that lived without the bombardment of the digital world, and I know that we'll succeed in creating a pocket of individuals who appreciate hard work and earning.
  Yesterday I made an appointment to see a PTSD doctor about my night terrors.  As I had commented on one of my previous threads, last night's was the worst.  I kept 'waking up', but not really waking up.  It happened seven times before I finally found myself in the real world, and I've spent most of the day half expecting to wake up after having something terrible happen to my right leg.  Maybe tonight I'll not have them, more likely I will.
  My son and wife are both ill.  Nothing serious, just head colds, but enough to keep us from being able to spend time with my mother and step-father because of his recent surgery.  It's best that we not get him ill because we love him and want him to stick around for quite a while longer.  So, it's just been us for the day, and it's been wonderful.  Lincoln is playing a game on the PS3, and trying to goad Amy into playing too.  They fight so much when they play together, and all I can do is chuckle.  Someday they'll learn to work together...  Someday...

  God blessed me this year with some of the most amazing people.  Jhon Baker, an amazing poet and philosopher has given me so much.  Noah Kaplowitz who has helped me further my causes and spent much time on corroborative works.  I think the three of us have leaned on each other so equally that it's kept us on our feet.  Scott Little, who's been giving me art lessons and spending time with me despite the fact he really hasn't had much of it.  Lars Jensen who's always been there for me, despite the ocean between us (you're going to get some English readers here, so you better start posting in English for us).
  My wife, Amy, who's put up with, and taken on, so much that I don't think I'd have survived RSD without her.  My mother; who brought me into this world and taught me to love and laugh, rage and cry.  Without her my son wouldn't be who he is today, and I wouldn't have been strong enough to make it through all my pain.  My father, Mike Shear, who spent so many hours driving from Iowa to here just to spend a few days at a time helping me when I had no one else.  I learned how to speak and succeed from my father, and how to laugh when things aren't at their best.  My stepfather Jeff, from whom I've learned to 'tell it like it is' and accept the fact that there's a lot of dumb asses out there.  My grandfather who I miss dearly.  He taught me how to be at peace in the world when we would go fishing or hunting together.  Firing a weapon still centers and empowers me to this day.  My grandmother, who taught me dedication to family and kept us from going under throughout the year.  My nephew Alex, who's gamed with me even when I've been blinded by pain and been useless.  I'll be on line again soon my friend.  And Corey Leese and the Divine Knights, Corey's stuck by me through thick and thin, and helped me find a group of fantastic new teammates to game with.
  Illinois Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome Association who's meetings have helped me feel like I'm still part of the world, and not alone in my struggles.  Congressman Manzullo's office, and Vera Moore of the VFW have been extremely helpful in my claims.  We may not have succeeded, but they still deserve recognition for all of their hard work and diligence.  McHenry County Marine Corps League, my brothers and sisters who have offered so much support, and given my son a Christmas, both on their own and through others who donated.
  I know it's asking a lot to have you all check out all these links, but these people deserve it.  They've given so much of themselves for me and my family, so please take the time to check them all out.  And to those of you who I haven't personally mentioned, leave a comment so I can include you in this 'thank you' post.
  Despite all the pain, and our eviction in seven days, I feel nothing but peace; happiness.  Blessed.

With all the gratitude I can muster,  Happy Holidays,

Kev

1 comment:

  1. Jhon & Lars ARE great people and wonderful writers. I would also appreciate Lars writing/posting more in ENGLISH...(hint hint).

    I'm at a bit of a loss of words, myself. If nothing else, I've been made more aware and brought closer to this issue. I'm sorry about your pain and suffering and insomnia/night terrors and it's terrible that there is no awareness about what is happening to so many vets.

    ReplyDelete