Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hurry Up and Wait

  Ah, the old axiom of the Marines, 'Hurry up and wait...'
 
  As I had previously shared, I've been told to utilize new medications.  I haven't started the new regimen yet because they need to be prescribed by my Primary Care.  I won't see him until next Friday.  In the mean time I'm expected to continue with current medications.
 
  The real exacerbation is the amount of money wasted on these older drugs.
  Rather than simply send me partial fills they've sent me full month supplies of all of my old medications.  This means I'll have near three weeks worth of medications to throw away.  What a waste.

  This week I'm going to try and adhere to a schedule to see if this helps mitigate my symptoms and boost my productivity.  My current approach doesn't seem to be helping any, may as well try something different.
So I'm scheduled to awake at 8 in the morning (this morning I actually woke at 7:30), and have scheduled time frames for different works.  I hope this gives me the chance to take a little more control back...

  We received a letter in the mail, from my attorney, with a few attachments.  The first attatchment was a request of acknowledgement in regards to the date, time, and location of the hearing.  I had signed and sent in this same form several weeks ago when it was sent to me directly.  The second was a request for all my current medications.  This information is all in my medical documentation which they are supposed to have a full copy of.  The VA even prints a medications page, which lists all medications prescribed over the service members life time.  The last attachment was a request for a work history.  Now, when I filed the initial claim I did a detailed work history, and for my appeal I did another detailed work history, what the hell do they need a third one for?  What a complete waste of time.
  The letter itself actually asks me to bring any pay stubs from work I had done during the course of my disability.  Amy freaked.  She felt this was a mark of ignorance on the attorney's part.  I'm starting to wonder myself now.  I had explained that it was probably a simple form letter they send to every client.  Perhaps I should give them a ring on Monday, if I remember...

  The Chicago VA medical center finally got me in for the scan of my back that was requested by the compensation and benefits doctor.  My case has been held up for three weeks because of their inability to pick up the phone and give me a call back to schedule the appointment.  I finally called the advocate and explained that this was exactly why I have all my treatment done in Milwaukee.  I doubt they'll find anything.  More than likely I'll get a phone call from the doctor asking me what is in my back, despite the fact we explained to him that I had an implant.  I'll let you all know if that's the case so we can all enjoy a good laugh.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my thoughts,

K.M. Shear

3 comments:

  1. Red tape and the run-around something this family knows a little about. I'm sorry you have to go through all the crap to take care of yourself. I would like to say that it will get better, the red tape I mean, but I don't see that happening. Prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letter you received, is this something from Social Security? Damon has already gone in front of the judge, in 2009 actually and once it was turned down again it went to appeals. August 28, 2011 will be 3 years since he filed his original claim. He was originally turned down in 2008, went in front of the judge, turned down again 2009 and our attorney appealed it December of 2009. Still no news...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The letter came from my attorney in regards to my claim's hearing date.

    For those of you constantly getting denied, have your spouse contact the rehabilitation services portion of your department of human services. Here it was the Department of rehabilitative services, Illinois Department of Human Services. Have your spouse ask for rehab services. They'll ask for medical records and to do an interview. When the Social Services employee deems the case un able to be rehabilitated you will get a letter in the mail. Present that letter and they'll have a VERY difficult time denying you, because a portion of their bureaucracy as already admitted that you can't work.
    Also for those of you who haven't started a Social Security claim yet, start by getting that letter first, and you more than likely will not need to go through a hearing process.

    ReplyDelete